When it comes to fruits and vegetables, it can be difficult for us dog owners to remember what they can share with their doggy best friends and which ones could prove fatal. So, where do grapes come into this? Can dogs eat grapes?
Why can’t dogs eat grapes?
To put it simply, because grapes can cause kidney failure. But outside of that, grapes are really a bit of a mystery. Let’s look a bit closer below.
They are toxic however researchers can’t seem to figure out why. They also don’t yet know if there’s a safe number of grapes dogs can eat this is because some dogs seem perfectly fine after a couple of grapes while others have extremely quick and severe reactions.
Because there’s little proven research behind grapes, we recommend you never feed your dog any part of a grape or raisin. Raisins are riskier because they’re dried, this concentrates the constituents.
Here are the signs and symptoms that may occur after a toxic ingestion:
- Loss of appetite
- Lethargy, weakness, unusual stillness
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea, often within a few hours
- Abdominal pain (tender when touched)
- Dehydration (signs include panting; dry nose and mouth; pale gums). A quick way to test for dehydration is to gently pull up on the skin at the back of your dog’s neck. It should spring back immediately.
- Increased thirst and/or urine production or diminished amount of urine or complete cessation altogether
- Kidney failure (which can be fatal)
If your dog has ingested grapes or raisins, treatment is absolutely critical. Contact your veterinarian, who may suggest you induce vomiting as soon as possible. However, you should not induce vomiting if your dog is having trouble breathing, exhibiting signs of distress, is unconscious, or if you’re not sure what he has eaten. Always contact you vet and follow their advise.